Monday, June 28, 2010

Madison on Denali: A Naturalist's Perspective

Denali...

Everyone who travels to the interior of Alaska is almost expected to visit Denali National Park. Its name alone inspires ones imagination of a place larger than life and wilderness at its most untamed. Ian and I had planned to visit Denali as a part of our journey. Mason and Isaac, my step second cousins had never been, although they were life long Alaska residents, and decided to come along. After a 5 hour drive north from Anchorage we arrived at the visitors center, checked in for our campsite, and waited for our bus to Wonder Lake, an 89 mile drive from the park's entrance. I assumed that the ride would take a mere 2 hours but was quickly informed that our trip would be about a 6 hour trip. We all looked at each other with the feeling of surprise and not the good kind...

These feelings quickly dissipated as we began our journey. The scenery along the park road was spectacular to say the least. As we continued further I felt a sense of calm and tranquility wash over me. The land was slowly cleansing my mind of any thoughts of the outside world. Denali is a place where humans are vulnerable to the whims of nature.

The feeling of calm turned into elation as we saw wildlife you only see on the Discovery Channel. I know Ian discussed this in depth, but we not only saw wildlife: we saw them interact. I felt like I was in a wonderland, a literal dream coming true.

Along the journey to Wonder Lake, the bus made a number of scheduled stops to pick up passengers and to allow us to stretch our legs on the long trip. About 4.5 hours in, our driver told us we would be making a half hour stop at the Eielson Visitors Center. I wondered why such a long stop. We arrived and immediately realized the long prescribed time. Upon exiting the bus I saw a quotation chiseled into the granite of the visitors center which read "Unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations." On the steps leading down to the observation deck there was another quotation by John Muir, "When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." I looked up, saw the vista, and tears came to my eyes. Never before had I seen such vast wilderness which held such extreme beauty. The whole scene completely and totally overwhelmed me. It was nature at its purest and finest.

The connection I felt to Denali is something I have never experienced before. It is a place with such power and beauty. It holds the tallest mountain in the world, superior wildlife, and a spirit that is palpable. And as I hope the quotation at the Eielson Visitors Center holds true, Denali will be around for generations to come, unspoiled and life changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment